CBH supports Telepsychiatry (Telepsych) services as a valuable adjunct to on-site psychiatry services for behavioral health providers. Telepsych is defined by CBH as assessment, therapy, and/or medication management services provided by a psychiatrist via telecommunications technology that allows for face-to-face interactions (e.g. videoconferencing). All providers considering the use of Telepsych must adhere to the requirements listed in Commonwealth’s Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (OMHSAS) Bulletin 14-01 OMHSAS Guidelines for the Approval of Telepsych Services in HealthChoices.
In addition to meeting OMHSAS guidelines for Telepsych, CBH requires the following of Telepsych providers:
- Prior approval from OMHSAS before implementation and billing
- An on-site psychiatrist, as Telepsych must supplement, not replace, on-site psychiatry and oversight
- Availability of a Mental Health Professional (MHP) to participate in Telepsych sessions, preferably the member’s primary therapist to ensure care coordination and appropriate crisis intervention.
CBH may, after prior approval/review, reimburse Telepsych for the following outpatient mental health services:
- Psychiatric evaluations
- Medication management
- Psychiatric consultations
- Individual therapy provided by psychiatrist
- Collateral therapy provided by psychiatrist
- Family/group therapy provided by psychiatrist
As of December 20, 2018, CBH is aware of the following agencies having been approved by the Commonwealth to provide Telepsychiatry:
- Philadelphia Mental Health Clinic
- Community Council
For the most up-to-date list, please contact CBH Member Services.